Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Serenading Nanay

 
Here I go again. I came  home to the Philippines. Nanay went home to be with the Lord, and so I must go to say goodbye.  My dear Nanay who was the embodiment of a Proverbs 31 woman took her last breath February 1, 2013. (A mere five months after the apple of her eye, my kid brother passed away in September.) 
  
 
 
 
 I fingered the intricate embroidery and beads of Nanay's pina dress. I told her I love her. I thanked her for all that she's done for me. I thanked her for all the prayers she uttered for me growing up. I thanked her for setting a good example in life  for me. I sat before her and reminisced beautiful memories.
 
 
 
 Nanay's nephew and nieces from her one and only brother came to visit. They brought their teenagers to serenade Nanay. Seven of them sat around before Nanay's casket and played their violins, viola and cello. What beautiful gesture. I know Nanay would have loved it if she were alive to hear it.
 
(They are cousins growing together, making music together. What could be better than that?)
 








It behooves me to think that our families are getting bigger and we are becoming strangers to one another. If I bump into anyone of these faces out in the streets or malls, I would never know that he/she is (closely) related  to me.  That he/she  is my niece/nephew from my first cousins. And there are many more of them around whom I have not met. So imagine my delight  to meet these beautiful violin-viola-cello-toting young people who happen to be family. They go everywhere, and they go bringing their music with them.


 


1 comment:

Ate jen said...

Very nice!