Wednesday, March 09, 2011

KIMCHI
I was in highschool  back home in the Philippines some (WOW!) twenty-nine years ago when I first tasted Kimchi. An American  missionary couple who spent some years in Korea planted a homechurch in our neighborhood and invited  me and two of my sisters to their  services. There we learned about God and found friendships. Ate Rowena, the pastor's wife used to invite us youth to her house for sleepovers and she'd make wonderful food that were new to us. Kimchee was one that I did not like and  never forgot. It did grow on me however so much so that I started making it, When a kimchi craving hits me, I'd make a big batch that I'd eat  without second thoughts. Fast forward to married life...my husband  LOVES kimchi, so I would make him some and when I do, it seems to me as though I never stop hearing crunching and lip-smacking until the batch of kimchi is gone.

Sometimes, my kimchee morphs into a hot spicy kimchee soup that my husband is crazy about. A humongous bowl hits the spot well without leaving one with guilt. With rice or noodles, kimchee is simply delicious. Another version of the same fixings would be made with white radish, either julliened or cut into squares. I am not sure how it is spelled but I am writing its name as I hear it: Kaktogeh.
Last January, I met a Korean exchange student who (now) resides with my friend. It was his birthday so we made him a Korean dinner of  bulgogi (Korean beef barbecue), rice and kimchi. He said just before he left Korea for NY, he made with his mom kimchee using 100 heads of Napa Cabbage. He further said that they put the kimchi in clay jars which they buried in the soil to ferment during the winter season. Indeed, Koreans eat Kimchee everyday of thier lives with rice. I don't blame them They are scrumptuous!
At home, between  my husband and I, these kimchi and kaktogeh do not last for long. They become, not only appetizer and  accompaniment to rice but a snack as well.

No comments: