Thursday, March 15, 2012

I don't like big chickens. I am suspicious of big chickens. With all the talks about anti-biotics and growth boosters,  my  usual gusto for eating them is just not the same when I  have them looking so plump and juicy, like this one---no matter how USDA says it is organic. Anyway, this baked chicken (the legs) will first be eaten as is...then the leftovers (one chicken breast) will morph into  chicken panini sandwiches slathered with habanero-cilantro sauce. Meanwhile, the carcass, bones and the other breast will make some pearl-barley-lentil chicken soup.  Goes a long way, doesn't it?
 This is pinatisang manok---chicken slathered with olive oil, drizzled with fish sauce, slathered with strips of ginger and mesquite and slow-baked  for two and a half hours.  (I swear I cut off the rear end of this big bad boy ...BEYOND  its heart-shaped perimeters, but I don't know why in this picture it looks like it's still there...ugh!)


Zachary snacking on PB & J and  choco-soy milk while I baked the chicken and puttered around the kitchen


Still in pre-school, but already reading independently.


The fruits that keep the "achoos!!!"  away. In this picture, the papaya and pineapples aren't ripe yet.

Both pineapple and papaya are so sweet and juicy

 


No comments: