Saturday, October 02, 2010


On my lunchbreak I decided to stop by a Patel Brothers grocery to search for spices to make a tikka masala chicken biryani for my husband  Steve. As I passed through the vegetable section, I saw four baby jackfruits staring me in the face telepathecally screaming my name to pick them up and so I did. They did not look very pretty but they sure brought me back memories that made my mouth water. My mind whirled in excitement for it's been eons since I last ate young jackfruit salad that my sister-in-law Gina back home in the Philippines used to make a lot of. Driving home my thoughts rushed in a whirlwind trying to recall the ingredients for  young jackfruit salad.  I remember she used  to make this  scrumptuous salad extra spicy, I could not stop eating them. It's been years since I last had a bite of it and so re-creating this dish is somehow a feat for me.
Envisioning how the salad looks like, pictures of little squares of red bell pepper and spicy  pepper danced in my head, soon followed by the imangined scent of ginger and vinegar in my nose. Of course, the white milk of coconut and that makes up its sauce. Coming home, I went straight to the kitchen and started my adventure.


Young Jackfruit Salad

young jackfruit
a can of coconut milk
red bell pepper cut into small squares
spicy red pepper
ginger minced
half cup vinegar
salt

Peel the  jackfruit and slice into bite-sized pieces. Boil in water. When cooked, let cool down. Squeeze the water out of the jackfruit and reconstitute with the coconut milk. Add the rest of the ingredients . Add salt to taste.

No comments: