Thursday, April 25, 2013

Langka (Young Jackfruit) Salad

Of course, I'd choose fresh young jackfruit  (like these that grow in front of my sister Ruth's house in Manila) to make spicy  Langka Salad. But fresh jackfuit is hard to come by, if not at all so I'll use the canned ones below. This  particular tree had more (big ones) hanging at the bottom part of its trunk. The housekeeper covered them with burlap sacks (of which I am not sure why). I do know that when they begin to ripen, a sweet, sweet smell emanates from these fruits.

The cans  had big chunks as shown in the  picture so I sliced them for easier bites.

Rinse and squeeze out the water as much as you can.

Now start slicing green and red bell peppers and mix together with  minced onions and ginger. The amount depends on your taste. You'll never go wrong.


Mix all ingredients together with a tablespoon or two of Gohchujang.   

Pepper paste...but  fresh, flaked or powdered chili will also do.

Now let this sit for an hour or two....overnight, maybe  before starting to eat. Actually the longer you let the  ingredients  marry, the tastier this salad gets.

So refreshing!

No comments: